Plastic pollution can be found on the peaks of our mountains and in the depths of our oceans.
It takes about 450 years for one plastic bottle to break down into the ground.
Worldwide, about 2 million plastic bags are used every minute.
This might seem unbelievable, but according to Ecowatch, between 500 billion and 1 trillion plastic bags are used around the world every year.
With these alarming statistics in mind, thankfully there is a growing awareness about plastic pollution that has seen more countries including France, China, Kenya, Rwanda and Italy start to ban, partially ban or tax single-use plastic bags.
Plastic waste kills more than 1.1 million seabirds and animals every year.
An Australian study conducted by the University of Queensland collected data since the late 1980s and found that green sea turtles now ingest twice the plastic they did 25 years ago.
Although it may seem overwhelming to contemplate how to lower our plastic consumption and protect our beautiful planet, there are simple ways to make conscious choices as a consumer that have a positive impact for all.
The concept of the “conscious consumer” was first heard in the 1970’s but it was economist James Buchanan who stated that individual participation in the economy is a form of democracy, essentially casting your buying “vote” to reflect your values.
With this in mind we believe each person has the ability to choose products that reduce plastic pollution and minimise their impact on the environment.
The words sustainable and eco-friendly have been used frequently in the English language in recent years.
The trend towards buying sustainable goods that reduce their impact on the environment is here to stay, as our consciousness and understanding of the climate crisis grows.
At GAEA Living we’re proud to be part of the solution in sourcing and stocking a range of plastic-free products for the kitchen and bathroom, to help more people start their plastic-free journey at home.
Our sustainable products are manufactured from materials that are long-lasting and avoid waste caused by single-use plastic. Our silicone ziplock bags, stretch lids and baking mat are also safer for you and your family, with no toxic BPA in the ingredients.
Our bamboo toothbrush handles are made from natural, biodegradable wood, its bristles are made from activated charcoal bamboo fibres and BPA free nylon.
Our bamboo toothbrush is an excellent choice to use instead of a plastic toothbrush, as the bamboo is organic, sustainably sourced and no fertilisers or pesticides are used in the cultivation of the plant.
The key to making progress with switching over to a “sustainable lifestyle” and making conscious choices as a consumer is to replace old habits with new ones and make small changes on a daily basis.
We’d like to share 5 ways you can be a conscious consumer:
- Embrace a minimalist approach to what you buy and consume. Identify necessary and unnecessary buys and research the life cycle of the products you buy. How long will they last and do you need it?
- Buy products made from materials that are sustainably sourced, long-lasting and plastic-free. Buy products that will last years instead of being single-use and those that are compostable when they finish their life cycle.
- Buy from companies that are transparent about their manufacturing processes and supply chain. Choose to buy from businesses that have a zero-waste philosophy.
- Buy cruelty-free, ethically made products that do not abuse the human rights of workers in the process of manufacturing the goods. Progressive companies are transparent about the working conditions of their employees and the measures they have in place to ensure an ethical supply chain.
- Shop local and choose to buy from businesses that are close to you or where goods are manufactured locally. This minimises the carbon footprint caused by air freight.
GAEA Living is here to help you get started on your plastic-free journey at home.
We are proud to carry products made from sustainable, long-lasting materials to support you to make the switch from plastic and buy in line with your values.
Shop our collection here (and receive 5% off your first order by signing up for our newsletter on the homepage pop-up).
Connect with GAEA Living on Instagram and join the conversation about switching to a sustainable lifestyle.